{}

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

No Title.

Last night I played cards and practiced English with Milagros, who is essentially a mini-me; she dances like a mad-woman, makes ridiculous faces, sings opera songs, loves reading and often speaks in funny accents. Milagros decided that she was going to practice counting (in English), and started jumping up and down while she said each number. As she was doing this, I found myself crying (not something I do very often) because it hit me that in nine days I will be leaving these beautiful children who completely stole my heart. Even as I write this, I am holding back tears.  
I suppose this post is just a recap of my whole entire trip: things and people I will miss, along with what God has taught me about Himself, His Word, and myself.

Things/ people I will miss:
1.       1. Peruvian food.
 Even though I found myself dreading rice with every meal, I will truly miss Peruvian cuisine. Causa, Ceviche, beans, the delicious little salad that we have sometimes at the home,  Estofado de Pollo, Aji, Inca Kola...the list goes on and on.

2. The weather.
 It doesn’t rain here (there are little sprinkles of “rain” every once in a while), but besides that, the weather is always perfect. I have experienced both Winter & Summer here, and I still love it.

3. Every single child in the hogar.
Especially: Kelly Kriz, Lizandra, Milagros, Jefferson, Emerson, Maythe and Isabella.
Like I said before, these children have had such a huge impact on me. It hasn’t always been easy, and sometimes I was unsure as to why I was even here. However, the more time I spent with them I realized that the biggest thing I could do was to love them, and spend time with them. They are such amazing children, and they have so much to offer this world. They have shown me unconditional love, and have given me an even greater desire to work with children and to do missions.   

4. The IDL people!! Once I started working at the church, I met eight wonderful people in the IDL program. They are all so friendly, and try their hardest to speak to me in English (Joanna and Maka speak English really well). Despite the language barrier, we have become good friends, and they have blessed me so very much- more than they probably even know.

And finally, what has God been showing me throughout this whole trip?
Like I’ve said in the past, the biggest thing is trust.
I came here wanting to find answers.

Answers to questions like:
- What am I doing with my life?
- Am I supposed to do missions long term?


As I am leaving Peru, I seem to have more questions than before.
I can honestly say I feel called to missions. I have such a strong desire to serve and to help hurting people. I love interacting with new people and experiencing new cultures and ways of life.
However, I am leaving Peru not knowing what I am going to do about school; not knowing if I am supposed to come back to Peru right away.


Do I continue at Elmira College and finish my degree?
Do I go to Bible school instead?
Am I supposed to go to China with Campus Target?
I don’t know, and I hate the feeling of the unknown. I like spontaneity, but lately I have felt completely aimless.

Sometimes I think that I have the answer. Sometimes I feel like coming back to Peru to work with Camino de Vida is the right thing to do. The thought of moving to a new country and working with these precious people full-time excites me! It would be quite the adventure.
Then I sit back and feel completely unequipped to accomplish this task. There are so many things in the Bible that I am unsure of!! I don’t feel like one semester of Bible school is enough preparation for full time missions.

I have received emails from different people I’ve met along the way, telling me about various internships and opportunities. It doesn’t help that all of them are absolutely amazing.  
Internship at Hillsong Church in AUSTRALIA!?!?! Awesome!!!
Internship at the Healing Place Church in Baton Rouge, LA??? Fantastic!!!
Spending a year in China?!?!?!? Sign me up now!!!

For a person as indecisive as I am, this is a huge problem. I have so many opportunities to choose from, and all of them (at least I feel) would provide me with preparation for future ministry opportunities.I get so excited about so many things all at once. I hear about one internship and I’m ready to pack my bags and go...then I hear about another, and I try and find a way to fit that into my jam-packed life. My biggest fear is making a decision based solely on how I am feeling. 

Why am I rambling on and on about the choices I have to make? I’m not really sure.
I don’t even know how many of you will take the time to read this whole spiel...

But, the other day I read:
“I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” (Psalm 27:13-14)
This is what God has been telling me lately, and throughout the course of this trip.
To stop talking and complaining and asking for advice from other people, and instead wait and listen. 
I’ve realized that I need to let God do the talking sometimes. 


Welp, I believe that is all for now.
Servolucion starts on Saturday (the church goes out into the community to serve) so I'll probably have a few tales to tell. :)

Adios Amigos.

-Kelly 

4 comments:

  1. Kelly, I think this has been my absolute favorite blog of yours to date:) Psalm 27:14 has been my verse for a while now-it does take strength and courage to wait on the Lord, and unfortunately can be so easy to run ahead of Him and do our own thing! You speak the truth when you say we need to let Him do the talking:) I know it will be incredibly hard for you to leave those children, but just continue to enjoy them, love them, minister to them until your very last moment!!! The beautiful part about us not knowing the next step is that HE does and He never lets you go-He will lead you and guide you even when you do not know the way! That's where that trust comes in:) I love you so much! I am praying for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the whole spiel :) I had a conversation with my Uncle Rick the other day and you came up. He asked how your trip was going and I was telling him about how you're spending a lot of time with the orphans, serving them and just loving them, etc. I really admire how you have related with them so well and have developed real friendships with them in such a short amount of time, even with the language barrier. That is truly a gift.

    Your honesty and transparency about not knowing the next step is encouraging. If you think about it, we wouldn't have a chance to trust God without some degree of uncertainty. I guess trust and uncertainty sort of go hand in hand. But, uncertainly is still not fun.

    One thing is for certain, however: I get to see your face in 3 1/2 weeks!!!!

    adios mi amiga bonita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My lovely Hija,
    I don't think you realize how much you are impacting other people. I am praying for you earnestly. I know the Lord will make His way known to you! Psalm 37:4,5,6
    Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.
    Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.

    That is all the advice I have to give. You are doing the first part, so I KNOW the Lord will do the second part, because He has promised!

    I can't wait to see you but I can just imagine how sad the kids must be to lose you! I will be praying for them as well.

    Te Amo. Mama Llama

    ReplyDelete
  4. A thin coating of phosphorescent powder may be applied to the tube's interior. This coating is then attached to the tube's interior wall by a binding substance. The tube is filled using a purified gas mixture and the gas is ionized with a high voltage applied between sealed tube ends through cold cathodes that have been welded to the ends. The tube emits light in a color that is either the same as the gas or from the phosphor coating. You can butt-weld different sections of phosphor-coated tubing together with glass working torches to create a single tube of varying color. This is useful for creating signs where each letter has a different color within the same word.
    More info

    ReplyDelete