{}

Sunday, March 27, 2011

La Dama Juana

Hola mis amigos :)

Friday was a pretty eventful day. As usual, I went to the church in the morning (insignificant detail: I stopped at a little cafe on the way and had the most delicious ham sandwich with aji), and then had a little road trip with Adam, Rebecca, Lupe, Jan Carlos, and one of the Operation Blessing (OB) volunteers (I don't remember his name). We went to the Operation Blessing warehouse about 20 minutes away from the church, and sorted through boxes of TOMS and Chinese Laundry (http://www.chineselaundry.com/) shoes that had been donated to OB.
Friday night, Pastor Christian and his wife Alicia took me to La Dama Juana, which is a buffet-style restaurant in Miraflores. There are no words to describe how delicious the food was (I had 6 plates), and I now have an undying love for:
1) Ceviche (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceviche)
2) Causa (http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/fusionfare/r/causa.htm)
and
3) Chicha Morada ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicha_morada)

At La Dama Juana, there was a special show featuring authentic Peruvian dances. It was absolutely fantastic and I wanted so badly to jump on stage and dance around. Sadly, I did not go up on stage, but I WAS able to take pictures with some of the dancers.
Overall, it was a great day.

This morning Pastor Robert's son Taylor spoke about "Our Hope That Remains." He touched on 1 John 2:15-16 and Matthew 7:21. His message was about how we need to place our hope in God and not in things of the world. The things of God cannot be destroyed, but the things of the world pass away. It was such an awesome message because:
1) It's a simple thought, but is something I always need to be reminded of.
2) I decided to memorize one verse a week (last week was my first week doing this), and the verse for this past week was Psalm 143:8 "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul."


This whole trip has been such a growing experience for me, and for that I am grateful. I've learned a lot about myself, and honestly cannot believe it is almost time for me to go home!! I cannot wait to come home and see my friends and family, but at the same time I want to stay here muchhh longer. Ah, I'm torn.

Any who, I believe that is all for now. :)

-Kelly

4 comments:

  1. Psalm 143:8 has ministered to me maaaaaaaaaaany times! Tonight was no different:) It is so true how often we need to be reminded of those simple truths of God!!! For one reason or another we as humans tend to complicate things, but when you read His Word it just brings back the simplicity and wonder and power of the truth!!! I also think you need to learn how to make these wonderful Peruvian dishes and come to Illinois and cook them for us:) Kelly, I think you will be back in America and I will still be in awe of this opportunity you have had and all the incredible experiences that have gone along with it! Thank you for sharing it!! Love you and praying for you Peru Girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Querida Juana - (this is your new name) - please talk to one of your lovely Peruvian friends and get their recipe for Causa. I want to make it here! It looks and sounds delicious!

    Keep your eyes on Jesus - His plan for your life is unfolding in such an exciting way!!

    PS - the only thing I don't like about this blog is that I can't see how many people have read it - I like seeing "81 views", "54 views" - and I am comforted by the reality that many are reading it and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would LOVE to learn how to make these Peruvian dishes.

    Mom- I will have to get the recipe from Alicia. Her daughter Michelle used to ask for Causa with everything. So, she will definitely have a recipe. :)

    Love you both so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A thin coating of phosphorescent powder may be applied to the tube's interior. This coating is then attached to the tube's interior wall by a binding substance. The tube is filled using a purified gas mixture and the gas is ionized with a high voltage applied between sealed tube ends through cold cathodes that have been welded to the ends. The tube emits light in a color that is either the same as the gas or from the phosphor coating. You can butt-weld different sections of phosphor-coated tubing together with glass working torches to create a single tube of varying color. This is useful for creating signs where each letter has a different color within the same word.
    More info

    ReplyDelete